Recipe Type: Main
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 2 hours 20 mins
Total time: 2 hours 50 mins
- •2 1/2 lb. lean chuck, ground
- •1 lb. lean pork, ground
- •4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- •1 cup finely chopped onion
- •8 oz. hunt’s tomato sauce
- •1 cup water
- •1 can beer (12 oz.)
- •3 tablespoons chili powder
- •2 tablespoons instant beef bouillon (or 6 cubes)
- •2 tablespoons cumin, ground
- •2 teaspoons paprika
- •2 teaspoons oregano leaves
- •2 teaspoons sugar
- •1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- •2 teaspoon unsweetened CACAO POWDER
- •1/2 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce
- •1 teaspoon cornmeal
- •1 teaspoon flour
- •1 teaspoon warm water
- •2 (15-ounce) cans of kidney beans (optional)
- In a large saucepan, brown 1 1/4 pounds of the ground meat (the beef and the pork), drain the fat. Remove meat.
- Brown the rest of the ground meat, drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Add the garlic and onion, cook and stir until tender.
- Add the other half of the meat and the tomato sauce, water, beer, chili powder, bouillon, cumin, paprika, oregano, sugar, coriander, cocoa, and hot sauce.
- Mix well.
- Stir in one can of beans, if desired.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Stir in the remaining can of beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornmeal and flour, then add the warm water and mix well.
- Stir into chili and cook, covered, for an additional 20 minutes.